Date: 22nd August 2017 at 9:18pm
Written by:

The transfer window has just over 9 days left to run. The season is in full flow and here, at Vital Chelsea, we are fully aware the first team squad is somewhat understaffed. You may not have noticed (only joking).

Chelsea`s official website has the current first team squad listed here, it gives an indication of who and where Chelsea should be looking to strengthen.

Goalkeepers
Thibaut Courtois
Eduardo
Willy Caballero

Defenders
Marcos Alonso
Cesar Azpilicueta
Gary Cahill (Homegrown)
Andreas Christensen (Under 21)
David Luiz
Antonio Rudiger
Victor Moses (Homegrown)

Midfielders
N`golo Kante
Tiemoue Bakayoko
Cesc Fabregas (Homegrown)
Eden Hazard
Kenedy (Under 21)
Charley Musonda Jr (Under 21)
Pedro
Willian
Jeremie Boga (Under 21)

Strikers
Michy Batshuayi
Diego Costa
Alvaro Morata

So, there you have it as it currently stands. If you discount Costa, the first team squad consists of just 21 players. Within 24 hours of the transfer window closing at 11pm on 31st August, Premier League clubs must submit a squad list to the league.

The 25 man list of players should include no more than 17 non-homegrown players, Chelsea`s current squad has 14. The remaining 8 must be homegrown. Chelsea currently have 3, Fabregas and Moses qualify due to the amount of time spent coming through the English system. The Under 21`s in the above list can be given squad numbers and play, but they don`t form part of the actual 25 man squad.

Therefore, discounting the under 21`s the first team squad of the current Champions of England, on their own website, has just 17 players. It gets worse because 3 of the 17 are goalkeepers, 2 of which will have very little impact on the first team. In reality we currently have 14 outfield players, one of which Eden Hazard, is injured.

We could sign 3 more non-homegrown and 5 homegrown players before the window shuts. If you work off the basis that the Under 21`s won`t get a look in, then the transfer team behind the scenes at Chelsea ought to get their BACS and CHAPS payment systems in gear.

All this gives an indication as to why Marina Granovskaia and Michael Emanalo are looking at English targets from the Premier League so persistently. As does it indicate why the clubs of these players suddenly value them so much.

When will Chelsea FC learn to get their business done early. See, Simples! Expect signings imminently.

 

8 Replies to “Chelsea Only Have 14 Outfield Players”

  • In my opinion we are only 3 signings away from having a really competitive squad. One of these looks like it will be Drinkwater, but I have no idea who the other two will be as rumor continues to swing here and there. That said, the narrative being created by the English media gives an impression that we have not done much with regards to our squad, I think this is exaggerated. I can argue that barring injuries, we are 75% done with signings. The only problem is the remaining 25% is so important that if the board does not do it and get it right, it will totally undone all the good work thats been done so far, with injuries and suspensions likely to easily derail our season. While I am not confident enough to bet on the chelsea board to be honest, something still tells me they will get it right. Fingers crossed.

  • This is the one unfortunate side effect i anticipated from the glorious win against Spurs..the typical false sense of security that such big wins bring. As has been the case for the last few transfer windows once again the board appear to be tempting fate and waiting to do the last minute rush. The big question is do we end up with Papys and Hectors or Alonsos and David Luis equivalents ?
    What happens (or does not happen) in the next 9 days will have far reaching effects and consequences on our fortunes as a club this season. That is how precarious the situation is in my mind because unlike last season we have the Champions league to worry about and we are the defending champs..we wont be able to fly under any radar..we are the hunted now..no longer the hunters and every team we play will bring 120% to the pitch against us.

  • We’ve been haggling for Drinkwater for days now. So not exactly inspiring confidence.Let’s hope for the best.

  • I’m convinced that the Drinkwater deal is will pull through but others I’m not sure. I wonder why our board seems never to learns from history. Getting targets early helps to seamlessly integrate them into the team.

  • I’m convinced that the Drinkwater deal will pull through but others I’m not sure. I wonder why our board seems never to learns from history. Getting targets early helps to seamlessly integrate them into the team.

Comments are closed.