Date: 14th April 2018 at 9:33pm
Written by:

Having made their way through to the final of the FA Youth Cup, Jody Morris’s U18 side were in action again today and clinched their fourth successive southern section title.

The game, away against West Ham ended in an impressive 5-1 victory, and sealed the title with two games remaining. Two goals from Charlie Brown, a Billy Gilmour penalty and a goal apiece for Tino Anjorin and Conor Gallagher saw us crowned champions.

Chelsea can look forward to facing Manchester United in the National Final after they were crowned champions of the northern section earlier today. Before that though, the Morris men will be able to sharpen up, with games against Tottenham and Arsenal still to come.

This game was effectively won before half-time with Gilmour’s early penalty getting the Blues off to great start. He converted the spot kick after Brown had been tugged down with just 6 minutes gone.

That goal set the lads on their way and they carved out plenty of chances before Brown, himself, had his name on the scoresheet. His shot across goal finding the net off the far post.

Five minutes before the break, West Ham who’s heads had already dropped, conceded two goals in two minutes. Anjorin’s strike from the edge of the box was well saved by West Ham’s keeper. Luckily for Chelsea it fell at the feet of Brown who, gratefully doubled his tally for the day.

In a role reversal, it was Brown who turned provider for Anjorin just 90 seconds later. His cross was finished with aplomb by the 16 year-old. As Chelsea headed in to the break, the trophy was all but theirs.

The second half followed on in a similar vein, Chelsea were just less clinical in front of goal. West Ham, to their credit had a good spell, although that may have been a result of Chelsea dropping their work rate slightly.

The fifth goal of the game went to Chelsea, this time it was the captain, Conor Gallagher hitting the net. This, after a jinking run into the box prior to a neat finish. With his team leading 5-0, Morris would be disappointed they failed to keep a clean sheet, as they had done in the previous four games.

The Hammers goal came as a result of a Bernardo Rosa free-kick that somehow found its way past Karlo Zigla in the Chelsea goal.

Brown almost grabbed his hat-trick, but saw his effort hooked off the line by Will Greenidge. The Hammer’s hit the woodwork as the game edged towards its ending.

The hard work was done in the first period and Chelsea were Champions. Morris’s team have worked relentlessly in their quest for perfection. Already they have picked up the Premier League Cup and booked that seventh consecutive Youth Cup Final place. There’s plenty for these lads to still play for, let’s hope they can keep the momentum going.